Spinach Rice Gratin2013-05-10
- Servings : 8-12
- 1 1/2 cups leftover/pre-cooked brown rice, room temp
- 1 cup spinach and dark leafy greens (kale, chard, collard greens)
- 4 ounces firm organic tofu, crumbled (can sub Canadian Bacon)
- 10 black olives, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego cheese (or Parm, or Gruyere)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Can add 1 pat of butter
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Rack in the top third. Grease a 10-inch round baking dish (or equivalent) with a bit of olive oil.
In a large bowl combine the rice, spinach, and tofu (or bacon).
Now, reserving a bit of each for garnish, stir in the olives, and red onion, pine nuts and olive oil.
Now stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese. In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, and salt.
Fold the eggs into the rice mixture, pour into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is set, and the top toasty and golden.
Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with remaining onions, olives, and nuts.
Sprinkle with a bit more salt before serving - or taste and get a sense of whether you need any.