Whole-Grain Spaghetti With Garlicky Kale and Tomatoes2013-05-06
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- 6 ounces whole-grain spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino (1 ounce), plus more for serving
Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Add the kale mixture, almonds, pecorino, and reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine.
Serve with additional pecorino.