Shiso Pesto over Baked Beets2013-07-17
- 1 cup of nuts or to taste (almonds or cashews or macadamia nuts are good but pine nuts work too) sea salt to taste
- lemon zest 1 -2 tablespoons or to taste
- lemon juice 1/4 cup or to taste
- 3 c packed shiso, basil, cillantro or to taste
- Olive oil 1/4 cup or more
- Nutritional yeast (1/4 cup - Optional)
Blend nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, shiso, basil, cilantro, olive oil, nutritional yeast and adjust to taste.
Wrap a raw whole beet in foil and bake it until soft (usually 2-3 hours at 350 depending on size of beet).
Slice into thin rounds and top with shiso pesto, feta, balsamic vinager and pine nuts for a delicious appetizer.