Creamy Cashew Kale & Chickpeas2014-09-12
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 carrots, julienned (or medium bell pepper, diced)
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 bunch kale, central stems removed and leaves thinly sliced, or a 10oz package of chopped kale or other hardy greens
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh basil or cilantro, minced (optional)
Drain the cashews and place in high speed blender or food processor with the broth and garlic. Blend until completely smooth, and set aside.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or dutch oven over medium-low heat and cook the onion and carrots (or pepper) for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chickpeas. Increase heat to high, and add the greens and 2-3 tablespoons of water, stirring to combine everything. If using kale for the greens,cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until it’s tender.
Stir in the cashew sauce, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes, until sauce thickens. If using, garnish with basil/cilantro before serving.